Thursday, April 9, 2009

Kites and Cherry Blossoms

Here are our adventures at the Cherry Blossom Festival in DC:
First we went to the Smithsonian's Kite Festival at the
Washington monument where hundreds of kites filled the air
(you can see them if you look close).
We met up with our Cambridge friends the Astles--
we love living close to old friends!
Then after a long walk to the Nat'l Building Museum
(not a small feat with a pregnant belly!),
we met my bro. Rob and Erin and Erin's dad
(aka Bob or "Grandpa Bob" to Sammy)
We watched the opening ceremonies including
cool Japanese breakdancing and amazing karate kids.
William loves babies (let's hope he keeps that up!)
and has a special bond with his cousin Emily.

Here's a random picture of a power ranger with a batman cape practicing the violin.


Speaking of cherry blossoms, we got the wonderful surprise this week
that all the trees behind our townhouse turn into gorgeous blossoms in Spring! Who knew?


It feels like we're swimming in flowers when we're out on our balcony.




I must say that so far the weather in Maryland is just about perfect (although we haven't faced the sweltering summer yet, so I'll get back to you about that). But we've really enjoyed the gorgeous autumn with colored leaves everywhere, just enough snow to remember it's winter, amazing Spring blossoms, and (hopefully) real summer where we can play in the pool next door and enjoy our first year with A/C. And everything warms up a month or two earlier than Boston.

4 comments:

marian said...

Those flowers are incredible.I'm so glad you are enjoying your new home.

Jordan said...

Those cherry blossoms are BEAUTIFUL! And, it's pretty cool when caped power ranger characters whip out the violin, isn't it?

Erin said...

Love, love, love that picture of Ben. I think the world of violin performance doesn't have nearly enough capes.

anna said...

Can you please take a picture of yourself without a baby in front of that bump? I am jealous of the beautiful trees. I miss that about the East Coast. But I am not sure that I would be willing to do snow again just for spring.